The Nutcracker Participation 2021
Colorado Conservatory of Dance is hopeful to resume our traditional performances of The Nutcracker in 2021. Details below will be updated once a final decision has been made. For now, auditions will be held on Sunday, August 22, 2021. Audition times to be determined closer to the date. The mandatory Kick Off Meeting will be held on Friday, August 27, 2021 with rehearsals beginning on Saturday, August 28, 2021.
The Nutcracker Sweet 2020
We are planning a reimagining of our traditional The Nutcracker with a slightly smaller cast size and scope in order to accommodate as many dancers as possible while allowing for gathering-size regulations that limit the size of our audience, as well as promoting effective, safe social distancing among the cast. But rest assured, this years version will be as stirring and luscious as ever.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are planning to offer The Nutcracker Sweet – a one-hour version of our family favorite with all the best, most critical selections. We will likely have restrictions on how many audience members can view the performance live and how many people can be in our lobby at one time, so we currently plan to not have an intermission. If, due to restrictions in place for social gathering, this may be a video/streaming performance. Additionally, we will limit the number of dancers in each scene of our Suite to ensure safe social distancing. Our primary objective shall always be to keep our dancers, their families, and our audiences safe.
Rehearsals & Performance:
2021 – Yet to be determined due to COVID-19 restrictions.
2021 Participation Requirements:
In order to participate in CCD’s annual The Nutcracker performance, students must meet the following general requirements:
- All dancers interested in participating in The Nutcracker must complete all summer and fall course requirements listed below.
- Completion of all course requirements guarantees a dancer a role in this year’s production.
- Those unable to complete course requirements may opt to audition for the production with no guarantee of being cast.
- Dancers auditioning without having met summer course requirements must still complete all fall course requirements.
- Dancer is 7 years old or older by August 22, 2021 (no exceptions)
- Dancer has performed in at least one CCD Gala production or possess equivalent performance experience (as approved by the Artistic Director)
- Participation fee for those who have not completed summer and fall requirements: $350.00
- Mandatory performance photo/video/and t-shirt fee: $100.00 per family (siblings pay $20 for t-shirts)
- Additional t-shirts are $20.00 each and must be purchased by the August 22, 2021 during the Mandatory Kick Off Meeting
- Families must provide an active credit card number, which will be charged the necessary amount
Summer 2021 training and other requirements:
- Primary and Intermediate dancers must take 3 weeks of summer camp. Advanced dancers must take at least 4 weeks of summer intensive.
- In addition, the dancer must attend a minimum of the following ballet technique classes in dancer level during the summer (this includes ballet technique classes taken as part of their camp/intensive).*
- Primary – 6 ballet technique classes at CCD
- Intermediate 1 – 8 ballet technique classes at CCD
- Intermediate 2 & 3 – 12 ballet classes at CCD
- Advanced 1 & 2 – 20 ballet technique classes (8 minimum at CCD)
- Advanced 3/4/PPP – 30 ballet technique classes (10 minimum at CCD)
- *Requirements are number of technique classes attended, not hours. Pointe, Technique Intensive, and other specialty dance classes and private lessons do not count towards these requirements. Non-CCD intensives must be approved by the Artistic Director.
- Dancers who are not able to fulfill CCD’s summer training requirements may still audition for The Nutcracker Suite, and if accepted, they will be required to pay a $350 participation fee. Dancers who are able to fulfill CCD’s summer training requirements are automatically accepted into the production (an audition is still required for casting purposes), and their participation fee will be waived.
Fall 2021-2022 Season Requirements:
Dancer must be currently enrolled at CCD, taking the following classes per week (all CCD course prerequisites must be met):
- Primary 1 & 2
- Minimum of one ballet class
- Primary 3
- Minimum of two ballet classes
- Intermediate 1 & 2
- Minimum of three classes
- Intermediate 3
- Minimum of five classes
- Advanced 1
- Women: minimum of eight classes
- Men: minimum of seven classes
- Advanced 2
- Women: minimum of nine classes
- Men: minimum of seven classes
- Advanced 3
- Women: minimum of ten classes
- Men: minimum of eight classes
- Advanced 4
- Women: minimum of eleven classes
- Men: minimum of nine classes
- Pre-Professional Program
- Enrolled in all Pre-Professional Program classes
For all attendance, fundraising and volunteer support, please ask for the sample Nutcracker Contracts available at the front desk.
Studio Company Participation:
Studio Company is a year long commitment that is separate from participation in The Nutcracker Sweet. Please visit the Studio Company page for more information, including audition date and time, for all information relating to Studio Company.