Annual December performances of The Nutcracker are a beloved American tradition, and they’re a cornerstone of CCD’s performance season. Students and community members ages 6+ to 70 perform alongside world class international guest artists and local professionals, in a luscious production at the Performing Arts Complex at PCS in North Denver.
2019 Nutcracker Cast sample packets will be available in May at the front desk.
Nutcracker auditions will be held August 24, 2019. Please see below for Participation Requirements. Sample contracts can be found at the front desk at CCD. Nutcracker participants must attend the Mandatory Parent Meeting on Friday, August 30 at 7-8:30pm.
Saturday, August 24 – Times are subject to change
- 11:30am – Primary Division Registration
- 12:00-12:45pm -Primary Division Audition
- 12:30 – Intermediate Division Registration
- 1:00-2:00pm – Intermediate Division Audition
- 1:45pm – Advanced 1 & 2 Registration
- 2:15-3:30pm – Advanced 1 & 2 Division Audition
- 3:15pm – Advanced 3/4/PPP Registration
- 3:45-5:00pm – Advanced 3/4/PPP Division Audition
Please arrive at least 30-45 minutes prior to auditions.
Parents, please come inside with your dancer!
Rehearsals & Performance:
Rehearsals are generally every Saturday (except Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekends, when possible) beginning on September 7. Detailed schedules will be handed out at the mandatory Nutcracker Kickoff Meeting on Friday, August 30, 2019.
Performances will happen at the Performing Arts Complex at Pinnacle Charter School on December 14, 15, 21-22, 2019, with mandatory dress rehearsals December 3, 5, 7, 10-13 and 18-19. (Other mandatory rehearsals may be added by the Artistic Director.)
In order to participate in CCD’s annual Nutcracker performance, students must meet the following general requirements:
- All dancers interested in participating in The Nutcracker must complete all summer and fall course requirements listed below.
- Completion of all course requirements guarantees a dancer a role in this year’s production.
- Those unable to complete course requirements may opt to audition for the production with no guarantee of being cast.
- Dancers auditioning without having met summer course requirements must still complete all fall course requirements.
- Dancers who are cast despite incomplete summer or fall course requirements must pay a participation fee of $350
- Dancer is 6 years old or older by August 24, 2019 (no exceptions)
- Dancer has performed in at least one CCD Gala production or possess equivalent performance experience (as approved by the Artistic Director)
- Participation fee for those who have not completed summer and fall requirements: $350.00
- Mandatory performance photo/video/and t-shirt fee: $100.00 per family (siblings pay $20 for t-shirts)
- Additional t-shirts are $20.00 each and must be purchased by the September 30 kickoff meeting.
- Families must provide an active credit card number, which will be charged the necessary amount
Summer training and other requirements:
- Dancer took at least 4 weeks of summer dance camp/intensive (all missed technique classes must be made up)
- Within dancer’s 4 weeks of intensive, dancer attended a minimum of the following ballet technique classes in dancer level during the summer.*
- Advanced 1 & 2 – 20 ballet technique classes (8 minimum at CCD)
- Advanced 3/4/PPP – 30 ballet technique classes (10 minimum at CCD)
- *Requirements are number of technique classes attended, not hours. Pointe, intensive specialty dance classes and private lessons do not count towards these requirements. Non-CCD intensives must be approved by the Artistic Director.
Fall 2019-2020 Season Requirements:
Dancer must be currently enrolled at CCD, taking the following classes per week (all CCD course prerequisites must be met):
- Primary 1 & 2
- Minimum of one ballet class
- Primary 3
- Minimum of two ballet classes
- Intermediate 1 & 2
- Minimum of three classes
- Intermediate 3
- Minimum of five classes
- Advanced 1
- Women: minimum of eight classes
- Men: minimum of seven classes
- Advanced 2
- Women: minimum of nine classes
- Men: minimum of seven classes
- Advanced 3
- Women: minimum of ten classes
- Men: minimum of eight classes
- Advanced 4
- Women: minimum of eleven classes
- Men: minimum of nine classes
- Pre-Professional Program
- Enrolled in all Pre-Professional Program classes
For all attendance, fundraising and volunteer support, please ask for the sample Nutcracker Contracts available at the front desk beginning in May.
Studio Company Participation:
Studio Company is a year long commitment that is separate from participation in The Nutcracker. Please visit the Studio Company page for more information, including audition date and time, for all information relating to Studio Company.