The Nutcracker Sweet Participation 2020
We are planning a reimagining of our traditional The Nutcracker with a slightly smaller cast size and scope in order to accommodate as many dancers as possible while allowing for gathering-size regulations that limit the size of our audience, as well as promoting effective, safe social distancing among the cast. But rest assured, this years version will be as stirring and luscious as ever.
The Nutcracker Sweet Auditions – Sunday, September 20. Mandatory Kick Off Meeting on Friday, September 25 at 6:30pm via Zoom.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are planning to offer The Nutcracker Sweet – a one-hour version of our family favorite with all the best, most critical selections. We will likely have restrictions on how many audience members can view the performance live and how many people can be in our lobby at one time, so we currently plan to not have an intermission. If, due to restrictions in place for social gathering, this may be a video/streaming performance. Additionally, we will limit the number of dancers in each scene of our Suite to ensure safe social distancing. Our primary objective shall always be to keep our dancers, their families, and our audiences safe.
The Nutcracker Sweet Audition will be held on Sunday, September 20 between the times of 12pm-5pm. Specific group times for the audition will be sent out via email on September 19. Registration is required. No walk ups will be allowed the day of auditions. Please contact the front desk for your audition form.
Rehearsals & Performance:
Please check your contract and email for all information relating to The Nutcracker Sweet 2020.
In order to participate in CCD’s annual The Nutcracker Sweet performance, students must meet the following general requirements:
- All dancers interested in participating in The Nutcracker Sweet must complete all summer and fall course requirements listed below.
- Completion of all course requirements guarantees a dancer a role in this year’s production.
- Those unable to complete course requirements may opt to audition for the production with no guarantee of being cast.
- Dancers auditioning without having met summer course requirements must still complete all fall course requirements.
- Dancer is 7 years old or older by September 20, 2020 (no exceptions)
- Dancer has performed in at least one CCD Gala production or possess equivalent performance experience (as approved by the Artistic Director)
- Participation fee for those who have not completed summer and fall requirements: $350.00
- Mandatory performance photo/video/and t-shirt fee: $100.00 per family (siblings pay $20 for t-shirts)
- Additional t-shirts are $20.00 each and must be purchased by the September 20, 2020 Kick Off Meeting.
- Families must provide an active credit card number, which will be charged the necessary amount
Summer training and other requirements:
- Primary and Intermediate dancers must take 3 weeks of summer camp. Advanced dancers must take at least 4 weeks of summer intensive.
- In addition, the dancer must attend a minimum of the following ballet technique classes in dancer level during the summer (this may include ballet technique classes taken as part of their camp/intensive).*
- Primary – 6 ballet classes at CCD
- Intermediate 1 – 8 ballet classes at CCD (additional 2 ballet classes may be taken during interim classes at any point throughout the summer)
- Intermediate 2 & 3 – 12 ballet classes at CCD (additional 3 ballet classes may be taken during interim classes at any point throughout the summer)
- Advanced 1 & 2 – 20 ballet technique classes (8 minimum at CCD)
- Advanced 3/4/PPP – 30 ballet technique classes (10 minimum at CCD)
- *Requirements are number of technique classes attended, not hours. Pointe, Technique Intensive, and other specialty dance classes and private lessons do not count towards these requirements. Non-CCD intensives must be approved by the Artistic Director.
- Dancers who are not able to fulfill CCD’s summer training requirements may still audition for The Nutcracker Suite, and if accepted, they will be required to pay a $350 participation fee. Dancers who are able to fulfill CCD’s summer training requirements are automatically accepted into the production (an audition is still required for casting purposes), and their participation fee will be waived.
Fall 2020-2021 Season Requirements:
Dancer must be currently enrolled at CCD, taking the following classes per week (all CCD course prerequisites must be met):
- Primary 1 & 2
- Minimum of one ballet class
- Primary 3
- Minimum of two ballet classes
- Intermediate 1 & 2
- Minimum of three classes
- Intermediate 3
- Minimum of five classes
- Advanced 1
- Women: minimum of eight classes
- Men: minimum of seven classes
- Advanced 2
- Women: minimum of nine classes
- Men: minimum of seven classes
- Advanced 3
- Women: minimum of ten classes
- Men: minimum of eight classes
- Advanced 4
- Women: minimum of eleven classes
- Men: minimum of nine classes
- Pre-Professional Program
- Enrolled in all Pre-Professional Program classes
For all attendance, fundraising and volunteer support, please ask for the sample Nutcracker Contracts available at the front desk.
Studio Company Participation:
Studio Company is a year long commitment that is separate from participation in The Nutcracker Sweet. Please visit the Studio Company page for more information, including audition date and time, for all information relating to Studio Company.