Nutcracker & Studio Company Participation
Annual December performances of The Nutcracker are a beloved American tradition, and they’re a cornerstone of CCD’s performance season. Students and community members ages 5* to 70 perform alongside world class international guest artists and local professionals, in a luscious production at the Performing Arts Complex at Pinnacle Charter School in North Denver.
2018 Mini & Nutcracker Cast Packets are available at the front desk.
Nutcracker auditions will be held August 25, 2018. Please see below for Participation Requirements. Sample contracts can be found at the front desk at CCD.
Saturday, August 25
- 12:00-12:45pm – Minis & Primary Division
- 1:00-2:00pm – Intermediate Division
- 2:15-3:30pm – Advanced 1 & 2 Division
- 3:45-5:00pm – Advanced 3, 4 & PPP Division
Please arrive at least 30-45 minutes prior to auditions.
Parents, please come inside with your dancer!
Rehearsals & Performance
Rehearsals are generally every Saturday (except Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekends, when possible) beginning on September 8. Detailed schedules will be handed out at the mandatory Nutcracker Kickoff Meeting on Friday, August 31, 2018.
Performances will happen at the Performing Arts Complex at Pinnacle Charter School on December 8, 9, 14, 15 & 16, 2018, with mandatory dress rehearsals December 4-7 & 11-14.
In order to participate in CCD’s annual Nutcracker performance, students must meet the following requirements:
- Nutcracker Mini’s are those ages 5 & 6. To be eligible for the main Nutcracker cast, you must be 7 years old by Saturday, August 25, 2018
- Must have performed in at least one CCD Gala production (or equivalent to be approved by Artistic Director)
- There is a non-refundable fee of $225 to participate in The Nutcracker
- Fairytale Ballet Camp (Primary levels 1-3) – 3 full weeks of summer camp to participate in Nutcracker (9 ballet technique classes)
- Intermediate 1, 2 & 3 Camp – 3 full weeks of summer camp to participate in Nutcracker (9 ballet technique classes)
- Accelerate! levels – will be placed in one of the above levels for the summer, 3 full weeks of summer camp to participate in Nutcracker (9 ballet technique classes)
- Advanced Levels:
- Must take at least 4 full weeks of summer dance camp at CCD or an approved national summer program during the summer of 2018
- Within your 4 full weeks of summer dance camp, attend a minimum of the following ballet classes during the summer camp:
- Advanced 1 – 4 weeks as a minimum = 20 ballet classes (8 minimum at CCD)
- Advanced 2/3/4/PPP – 4 weeks as a minimum = 30 ballet classes (10 minimum at CCD)
For Intermediate through PPP Divisions, ballet classes missed during the summer dance camp can be made up during the interim classes to meet the requirements listed above. Interim weeks are June 4 – June 15 and July 30 – Aug 10.
Fall 2018-2019 Season Requirements:
- Primary 1 & 2 – at least one ballet class (Mini Cast)
- Primary 3 – 2 at least ballet classes (Mini Cast)
- Intermediate 1 & 2 – at least 2 ballet classes + 1 additional ballet or jazz class
- Intermediate 3 – at least 3 ballet classes + 1 additional ballet, and either jazz and/or modern
- Advanced 1 – at least 3 ballet classes, 2 pre-pointe (ladies), or 1 Men’s class (men) + 1 additional ballet, contemporary, and either jazz and/or modern
- Advanced 2 – at least 3 ballet classes, 3 beginning pointe (ladies), or Men’s class (men) + 1 additional ballet, contemporary, and either jazz and/or modern
- Advanced 3 – at least 4 ballet classes, 3 pointe (ladies), or Men’s class (men), + 1 additional ballet, contemporary, and either jazz and/or modern
- Advanced 4 – 5 ballet classes, 3 pointe (ladies), or Men’s class (men), + 1 additional contemporary, and either jazz and/or modern
- Pre-Professional Program – Enrolled in all Pre-Professional Program classes
Please note requirements are number of ballet technique classes attended, not number of hours. Pointe, intensive, specialty dance classes, and private lessons do not count toward these requirements.
Nutcracker Mini’s are those ages 5 & 6. To be eligible for the main Nutcracker cast, you must be 7 years old by August 25, 2018.
Studio Company Participation
Studio Company is a year long commitment that includes participation in The Nutcracker. All Studio Company members must also meet the same Nutcracker Participation requirements as above. Please visit the Studio Company page for more information, including audition date and time.